Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I Am Free to be Me

I have a calling, I have a purpose for my life.
I know that I was created for something special, but what is it?
I know I am called to serve. Not to please the person or to impress others, but out of love for the person and for God.
I know I am called to share the good news of Jesus Christ to those who have never heard, but in what capacity? I don't want to go overseas full time just because my friends are doing it and I want to compare myself to them; or because I am trying to not disappoint God.
I know I am called to love those around me and be Jesus to the world. But I can do that everyday, in any place.

I have certain passions. Things that I long for and strive for; things that are unique to me. I love music, but it is not my greatest passion. I love little kids, but is it only because I like to be liked and little kids fall in love with their teachers? I love cultures and languages and geography. I enjoy talking with friends and having fun. Yet I also like just relaxing at home and having time to myself. Writing is how I express myself, and I find great joy in doing it. Dancing is a lot o fun and singing is a thrill. These are all things that I know that I am. These things are in my heart, they are at least part of my heartsong.

The problem is...I still feel like many of the above things came into play because of trying to win the attention or affection of those around me. Are they really things that I enjoy? Are they just what everyone else around me was doing?

I want to be confident in who I am. I want to be confident in the things that I like and dislike, and the things that are my deepest passions. I want to be confident in who God created me to be, and be satisfied and proud of the tasks that God has prepared for me to accomplish.

Every person on this earth has a purpose and passions. I don't have to have the same ones as anyone else. I am me, I am myself, I am unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment